Children’s Parachoc is a lubricant laxative containing liquid paraffin. It contains no bowel stimulant so it’s suitable for long term use. It works by gently lubricating the bowel wall and softening the faecal mass. This makes stool easier for children to pass.
It helps children achieve an ideal bowel movement, which is a soft, smooth stool that looks like a sausage (classified as Type 4 on the Bristol Stool Scale).
- Gentle and suitable for long term use
- Softens the faecal mass and lubricates the colon
- Promotes restoration of normal colon function
- Contains 50% paraffin oil
- Contains no sugar, lactose, casein, gluten, egg, soy, nuts or peanuts
- Available in 200mL and 400mL sizes
How to take Children’s Parachoc
Children’s Parachoc has a pleasant Chocolate Vanilla flavour and can be mixed with cold milk, cold flavoured drinks, yoghurt or frozen into an ice block.
Children’s Parachoc should be taken once a day only.
Dr Davis’ Important Tip: after taking Children’s Parachoc children must not lie down for at least two hours. This reduces the risk of the paraffin being regurgitated and inhaled into the lungs. Inadvertent inhalation of liquid paraffin can cause serious respiratory problems.
Using Children’s Parachoc
- Always speak with your healthcare professional when treating constipation.
- Allow 3-4 days for the recommended dose to start to soften and move the stool through the bowel.
- Increase dose by 5mL increments after 3-4 days if the desired effect is not achieved.
- If oil leaks into the child’s underwear reduce dose by 5mL.
- Use Children’s Parachoc for up to 6 months under the guidance of your doctor.
- Children’s Parachoc is a gentle lubricant laxative. Unlike other laxatives it is not associated with side effects such as lazy bowel.
Always read the label. Use only as directed. If symptoms persist see your healthcare professional.